It is almost the time of the year when the markets are seen flooded with the handcarts loaded with one of the Pakistan’s favorite and tasty berries, “Falsa”. People wait for “Khattay meethay falsay” all along the year. Falsa (Phalsa) is a small tangy and sweet flavored dark purple fruit of Grewia asiatica tree, which is a native of Pakistan, Bangladesh, India, Nepal, Srilanka, Thailand, Cambodia and Vietnam. Grewia asiatica is a small tree of about 15 to 20 feet height.
Falsa fruit is easily perishable. So people in Pakistan prepare its juice to last the whole summer. People eat it as it is by adding a little salt and black pepper. It is a natural cooling agent in human body and that is why it is consumed for its cooling effect in summer. Also it has great medicinal properties.
Medicinal and Other Benefits of Falsa Tree:
- Fresh leaves are used as cattle fodder.
- Its branches are used to make baskets for transporting vegetables and fruits.
- The wood is used to make archer’s bow, spears, handles, poles etc.
- Its bark is used to make ropes. Also due to its clarifying effect, the mucilage extracted from the bark by pounding it in water is used to make brown sugar from sugarcane juice.
- The extract of the bark helps to treat pain, diarrhea, rheumatism, and arthritis.
- The bark also relieves vaginal burning and other urinary troubles.
- Its leaves have an antibiotic effect and relieve skin inflammations, such as, cuts, burning, eczema, boils and skin eruptions. Soak the leaves in water overnight and make a paste. Apply the paste on affected area of skin.
- The oil produced from the seeds helps in the treatment of reproductive disorders and fertility problems.
14 Amazing Health Benefits of Falsa.
Here are some amazing health benefits of falsa that you might not know:
- Falsa juice helps in relieving digestive problems like excess acidity and indigestion.
- Raw falsa fruit is a blood purifier, normalizes heart rate, blood pressure and cholesterol levels. It relieves fevers, inflammations and blood disorders.
- The fruit is a wonderful reliever of respiratory problems like asthma, bronchitis, cough, cold and sore throat.
- Falsa fruit and juice has been used to treat liver and gall bladder problems for centuries.
- The fruit contains an enough amount of nutrients and minerals, including, but not limited to magnesium, iron, calcium, potassium, carbohydrates and Vitamin A and C. It is a great source of antioxidants which play a vital role in preventing cancer and when it comes to anti-aging ingredients, Research is clear: Antioxidants are essential in age deterioration.
- Falsa removes pimples, acne, skin dryness and cures anemia.
- The juice helps pass urine so it is recommended to use in cases of oliguria or low urine output. It is used as a treatment for burning micturition (i.e a burning sensation experienced while passing urine) and acidic urine which gives rise to stone formation.
Amazing Healing Uses with Directions:
Below are Falsa healing benefits:
- Stomach Pain: Roast 3 grams (about 1 tea spoon) carom seeds or “Ajwain”. Add 25 to 30 ml falsa juice (2 table spoons). Stir and warm a bit. Drink to relieve stomach pain.
- Burning eyes, urine, chest, stomach and sour eructations: Drink falsa juice daily.
- Weakness of stomach, nausea, vomiting, and stomach pain: Add a little rose water to the juice. Add sugar to taste. Drink daily.
- Weak Heart: Take 50 ml juice (around ¼ cup). Add a pinch of rock salt and black pepper powder. Mix well. Add sugar to taste, stir well and drink for relief.
- Brain Weakness: Drink 50ml (around ¼ cup) juice everyday.
- Respiratory Troubles, cold weather troubles and hiccups: Warm a little juice, add in a little ginger juice and rock salt. Dink for relief.
- Burning during urination: Take 25 grams of falsa, 5 grams of Amla powder, 10 grams of black grapes and 10 grams of dates. Grind all except amla powder. Soak all the ingredients in water at night. In the morning, add 20 grams of sugar. Stirr and strain the water. Divide the water into 2 equal parts. Take 1 part in the morning and one in the evening.
How to Make Falsa Juice (Falsa Sharbat)
Last but not the least! Here is a special treat for all of you! After talking about the astonishing benefits of falsa fruit and falsa juice, let’s talk about how you can make the popular and heavenly falsa sharbat. Here is the falsa juice recipe.
- About 250 grams Falsas
- About 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 lemon
- 1 cup of crushed ice
- Fresh mint leaves for garnishing
- Soak falsa fruit in water for 30 minutes. Strain out the fruit.
- Proceed with grinding the berries in a grinder.
- Strain the pulp well through strainer.
- Add 3 glasses of chilled water and 3 tablespoons of sugar.
- Stir thoroughly. Squeeze one lemon juice and add in the falsa mixture.
- Add crushed ice.
- To add in flavor, some people would recommend adding a pinch of ‘Kala Namak’ and ‘Lal Mirch’ for an extra kick. That’s totally up to your taste.
- Add garnishing.
This quantity would be sufficient to serve 5 people. It’s a magical, refreshing and healing beverage for the whole family to enjoy! It’s a great supplement for people with diabetes too.
Featured Image via Brecorder